The Minor Ailments Service is a free NHS Service which provides advice and treatment of Minor Ailments or illnesses.
Your pharmacist can prescribe you medicine for a diagnosed minor illness or complaint, without the need for an appointment with your GP first. The Minor Ailment Service is available from all Pharmacies in Orkney.
You can register for the service if you are registered with a GP in Scotland and you meet one of the following criteria:
- Under 16 years of age or under 19 years of age and in full-time education
- Aged 60 years or over
- Hold a medical exemption certificate/maternity exemption certificate/war pension exemption certificate
- Get Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.
You can register for the NHS Minor Ailment Service at any time with a pharmacy of your choice.
Benefits of using the Minor Ailments Scheme:
- Pharmacies are often open when GP practices are closed e.g weekends.
- You don’t have to make an appointment
- The service is free
Please see these individual links for information on specific minor ailments or illnesses: